Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Is Good Health Really That Important?

Most people take health for granted. I have been doing so, myself, for a long time since my younger days … until I started feeling some body pains that caused me no little discomfort. Also, I realized I was not getting any younger. It was then that I took stock of my situation and started thinking things through.

Is good health really that important?
You may not have thought much about it but … IT IS. Literally.
Think about it. You are full of life when you are in good health. But when you are sick — when you are practically immobile — what do you feel? How do you relate to people around you?
Allow me to tell you about my own experience with sickness. Years ago, in my fourth year  in high school, I was afflicted with flu that had me down in bed for more than a week. That was the longest time I was ever confined to bed and I felt really terrible not to mention, miserable. I was then living with my cousins in a rented apartment in the city where we were pursuing higher education, hundreds of miles from home. My cousins wanted to take me to the hospital because my condition was getting worse. But I refused and did not want any doctor to come to see me. I insisted on natural remedies like my late mother treated me and my siblings whenever we got sick, when we were still kids.
As I lay in bed feeling utterly useless because I had to be attended to and cared for, I thought of life and what meaning there is to it to a sick person. Mine was just flu which I knew would be healed in a short while and I’d be up on my feet again. But still, it gave me the creeps. What if my condition worsened so as to require hospitalization or that I would die because of it?
So you see, good health really matters. For me, I’d rather be lacking in many of the material things of the world than be sick or in poor health. Lose your good health and life becomes meaningless.
We would be happy to have you share with us your thoughts about our topic for the day and/or your personal experience in relation to health.
See you next post.

by: georix

1 comment:

  1. Yes, health is really so important. Sad experience reminding everybody that even though you possess all the material riches in this world if you are immobile, you can never be happy.

    ReplyDelete